Checklist – moving to Norway

A checklist of things to consider and necessary preparations before moving to Norway.

Here is a checklist of things to consider and necessary preparations before moving to Norway. Note that different rules may apply if you are regarded as resident in Norway, a commuter, or working under contract to a foreign company. Contact the responsible authority for further information particular to your situation.

• It is important that you bring yourpassport/valid ID card, diplomas and reference certificates (preferably in Norwegian or English).

• Even if you are in Norway only to look for work, you may be asked to prove that you have adequate financial means both for the duration of your stay and for your return travel.

• Contact EURES advisers in your home country. They have information about the formalities you need to complete before travelling to Norway, and will also be able to obtain information on vacancies in Norway from the European Job Mobility Portal:

• Find out if special accreditation is required in order to practise your profession or trade in Norway. (For more information see the section on education below).

• Make arrangements with former employers or colleagues in your country who can provide references. Norwegian employers will normally wish to contact them. It is an advantage to cite references who can speak a Scandinavian language or English.

• Norwegian employers often require a reasonable proficiency in the Norwegian language. In some sectors, English will be sufficient. (For more information see the section on language above).

• Contact your local employment, social security and tax office to find out how going to Norway will affect your status as regards taxes and benefits, and be sure to obtain the appropriate forms.

You may also wish to contact the Norwegian embassy in your home country for further advice before leaving for Norway. For addresses see

Living and working
If you are a citizen of an EEA member state and have a valid ID card or passport, you have the right to live in Norway for 3 months. The same is true for family members who are citizens of an EEA member state. If you want to stay in Norway for more than 3 months you must have a basis for staying and be registered with the police. You must have a valid ID card or passport and otherwise be able to document that you will not be burden on public welfare schemes. If you are an employee, you must produce proof of employment or an employment contract. You may register online at After this you must appear at your nearest police station or a service centre for foreign workers to submit the necessary documents in order to complete your registration. Once you have registered, you will receive proof of registration. This is issued free of charge. Separate rules may apply to nationals of Bulgaria and Romania who wish to take up employment in Norway. Please check with the Norwegian embassy/consulate in your home country, the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI) or a police station in Norway.

More information about your right to stay and the registration scheme is available in several languages from the Directorate of Immigration. For addresses of police stations in Norway, see: For Norwegian embassies/consulates, see:

When you work for a Norwegian employer you are required to pay tax in Norway. Bring your employment contract and passport along to the nearest tax office to your Norwegian place of residence and apply for a tax deduction card (skattekort). Once you have been issued with a standard personal ID number or a D number you will then be issued with a tax deduction card to hand in to your employer. For more information and addresses, see:

Social security
Your employer registers you with the National Insurance Service. Meanwhile you will find a lot of useful information about sick pay, child benefit, pensions etc on 

Bank accounts
If you want to open a bank account, you should contact a bank for information and advice. To open a bank account, you must bring along your passport, a passport photo, and your personal ID number or D number. It is a good idea to make enquiries at several banks so you get the best terms.