Looking for a specific product?

Make a search for products & suppliers, articles & news.

New round of death sentences in Egypt

“It is shocking and unacceptable that an Egyptian court has once again pronounced a summary judgment – this time passing 683 death sentences. We are now witnessing a situation where Egyptian courts are seriously undermining the country’s reputation internationally,” commented Minister of Foreign Affairs Børge Brende.

On Monday 28 April, 683 people were condemned to death by a court in Minya, including the leader of the Muslim Brotherhood Mohammed Badie. Nearly 600 were condemned in absentia. The death sentences are not yet final, as they have been referred to the Grand Mufti for consideration. The court will pronounce the final sentence once the Grand Mufti has made his recommendation. The sentence can then be appealed. There are several similarities between this judgment and the judgment in March, under which 529 people were condemned to death. Since then 492 of those sentences have been commuted to long prison sentences, while 37 have been upheld.

“It is unacceptable that death sentences and long prison sentences are pronounced without individual legal safeguards being ensured. The right to a fair trial is a fundamental international principle,” Mr Brende said.

In a court ruling in Cairo today, all activities of the April 6 Youth Movement were prohibited with immediate effect. This movement was one of the main driving forces behind the 2011 revolution, and actively promoted workers’ rights also before 2011. Several of its leaders are already imprisoned. The reasons given for today’s ruling were allegations of espionage and defamation of the Egyptian state.

“This is one of a series of repressive measures against critical voices in Egypt. I am deeply concerned about the deteriorating situation for civil society and the increasing restrictions on freedom of expression in the country,” said Mr Brende.

 

Related news

Latest news

SAR Celebrates 2nd anniversary in Kuwait

SAR Celebrates 2nd anniversary of operation in Kuwait.

SAR AS Celebrates 30 years of operation!

The history of SAR goes 50 years back to the late 1960s with the company Septik Tank Co. 

Ready to conquer the world with Hansen Protection Helicopter pilot suits

In 2017, for the first time in the history of helicopter sport, the World Cup in Helicopter Races is going to be held. It is going to take place in 7 countries, and starts on Friday April 7th in Konakovo, Russia.

SeaBass Fisherman's Work / Flotation Suit

SeaBass is a waterproof, buoyant work suit for anyone working on or around water.

Improved Surface Rescue Preparedness can Save Lives

A significant part of the Norwegian fire and rescue services lack good apparel for use in surface rescue operations. This can mean the loss of valuable time in rescue operations in water, and experts now call for a change ...

Historical contract for Norwater AS!

The excitement was at its height at Norwater AS in Høylandsbygd on Wednesday last week. The company signed its biggest contract in history, in strong competition with both Norwegian and foreign competitors. The order book ...

Export Credit Norway Finances Production of Ready-to-use Therapeutic Foods in South Africa

Since being founded in 1948, the Norwegian company GC Rieber Compact has developed into a leading supplier of ready-to-use therapeutic foods to customers such as Doctors Without Borders, the Red Cross, the World Food Progr...

Peru Corporate Day

On 26th September, Oslo Chamber of Commerce will for the first time receive a technological business delegation from Peru to Norway, led by PROMPERÚ.

New contract for delivery of Servogear CPP

The Servogear installation includes CPP propellers,